⦿ Fun, Music, Teambuilding
The goal of this Online Energizer is to achieve a smoothly flowing “applause” possible together. And that’s trickier than it looks, seems & sounds.
Before you begin, determine the order – alphabetically, for example. For clarity, the participants add a number to their display name in the digital meeting. At first you clap at the same time, at the same pace. When you have achieved a steady rhythm, number 1 calls out: “NOW!”. Person one claps 1x, the next colleague takes over, who then passes it to the next ‘number’. The team continues doing so in the same rhythm, until the “applause” goes around and around nicely. When this succeeds, the satisfaction will be huge.
Try to keep it up for a few rounds! Then you can reverse the order. Or the speed! The faster, the more it will resemble a real applause. That’s the sound of one hand clapping!
Tips for practiced participants and groups:
- You may also pass on the clap (figuratively!), call out the number (i.e. person) to clap next.
- You want to make it really funky? Try the game with fingersnaps. Who comes up with the most original sound to pass on? Clap your hands & say YEAH!
- The rhythm can also be adjusted, of course! Or the amount of claps that each participant makes every turn. (The more, the easier it gets).
- Want to play musical games accompanied by a professional? We have an excellent Online Energizer in store for you!
- The most famous example of this kind of ‘circular clapping’ is undoubtedly Steve Reich’s composition Clapping Music. Listen, shiver and try!
- Want to try a light-hearted song? Which colleague can best clap the (in)famous rhythm of Never Leave You (Uh Oh) by Lumidee?